Polyethylene is the most massive plastic in the production of packaging materials. This is one of the oldest polymers, which remains indispensable today for the production of special wraps, packages, containers, jerrycans, etc. Despite the development of technologies and the introduction of new materials, the importance of polyethylene does not decrease, but on the contrary, the demand for it only increases.
Polyethylene is the cheapest polymer, which occupies the first place in the world production of polyolefins. This unique material combines the most valuable properties and the ability to be processed by all high-performance methods that exist for thermoplastics.
Types of polyethylene:
Polyethylene is a thermoplastic transparent polymer with high chemical resistance. The raw material for it is the simplest olefin – ethylene gas. Polyethylene is produced by polymerizing ethylene at low and high pressures in the form of granules from 2 to 5 mm.
There are four main types of polyethylene:
– low-density polyethylene – LDPE
– medium-density polyethylene – MDPE
– high-density polyethylene – HDPE
– linear low-density polyethylene – LLDPE
Polyethylene is used to produce:
– wraps (packaging, agricultural, stretch, shrink)
– pipes (plumbing, gas, non-pressure, pressure)
– containers (canisters, tanks, bottles)
– building materials
– sanitary ware
– prosthetic internal organs
– household items
– insulation of electrical cables
– parts of cars and various equipment
– polyethylene foam